Early Years Foundation Stage
"Moving to Elmhurst was a game-changer for my son, and my daughter starting in September - it is so exciting for her to have an entire Elmhurst experience from start to finish."
(Reception Parent, 2021)
Our Hygge-inspired approach encompasses the acquisition of knowledge, skills, values and attitudes to develop pupils into independent, articulate learners.
Through a nature-based learning approach, we are dedicated to developing learners who are creative thinkers, who show resilience when taking on a challenge, and who aspire to be thoughtful to others and the world around them.
We are committed to the values and principles that underpin the Early Years Foundation Stage and Every Child Matters, including the four key principles.
We understand that all pupils are unique, have individual interests and learn best in different ways (The Characteristics of Effective Teaching and Learning).
These are carefully considered by staff in our Early Years classes to ensure all pupils reach their full potential and progress across the seven areas of learning in the Early Years Curriculum:
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
Communication and Language
Expressive Arts and Design
Understanding the World
Our Hygge inspired and nature based learning approach provides:
- Real-life experiences and opportunities to learn through the natural world.
- Inspiring indoor and outdoor learning environments.
- Opportunities to revisit prior learning and build on knowledge and skills.
- Provocations for play to inspire and enthuse pupils.
- Loose parts and natural resources promote independent and creative thinking.
- Timetabled Awe and Wander walks to encourage pupils to notice detailed features of their natural environment and promote discussions of the natural world and its importance.
- A balance of discrete, adult-led sessions and carefully planned continuous and enhanced provision.
"The classroom and outside environment is amazing and has played a vital role in allowing Lila to develop and learn. We spend a lot of time in our allotment, therefore Lila already has awareness of the natural world, but she extends this experience through her school day with the use of the mud kitchen, the wonderful sunflowers that were grown and the awe and wander walks."
(Reception parent, 2022)
If you are looking for reception places for your child then see below for our Rising 5 Ready information leaflet for prospective parents and look on our Instagram page https://www.instagram.com/hyggejourneyelmhurst/
Page last updated: 21/09/2023