PE and Sport Premium
Physical education is about providing children with a love for lifelong participation in physical activity, enabling them to become competent and confident physical movers and to lead a healthy lifestyle.
All children are entitled to benefit from the enjoyment of a broad and balanced PE and school sports curriculum and extra curricular activities that will extend their knowledge, physical skills and attitudes in a positive manner irrespective of race, gender, or level of ability.
Physical Education forms part of our Learning for Life curriculum at Elmhurst. We recognise the importance of teaching our pupils about healthy lifestyles and as a result invest a huge amount of effort to ensure we deliver the best quality of PE education alongside our extra curricular activities.
Schools with 17 or more eligible pupils receive £16,000 per year plus an additional £10 per eligible pupil.
As outlined by The Department of Education the Primary PE and Sport Funding must be used to:
- develop or add to the PE and sport activities that our school already offers.
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
There are 5 key indicators that schools should expect to see improvement across:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school.
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement.
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport.
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils.
- Increased participation in competitive sport.
Page last updated: 21/09/22